I am using a login via ssh

Here is the secure log material for my test USR

Aug 1 21:26:20 <client> unix_chkpwd[6558]: password check failed for user
(<NISuser>)
Aug 1 21:26:20 <client> sshd[6556]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication
failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=<remote.host.name>
user=jtorres
Aug 1 21:26:22 <client> sshd[6556]: Failed password for <NISuser> from
<remote.host.up.address> port 65500 ssh2

From a fellow Mandriva box the same request meets as follows.

Aug 1 21:32:15 <client> sshd[7595]: Accepted password for <NISuser> from
<remote.host.up.address> port 54278 ssh2

Passwords should be hashed. I am not using keberos (or at least I don’t
think it’s in the mix).

once again, despite what you see above the id command yield the correct
uid and gid information for the test user

Bill