On 31 July 2014 11:05, Florian La Roche <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:54:56AM +0100, Mark Hills wrote:
> > In our upgrade from SL 6.3 to 6.5, we experience a change to hwloc library
> > version, breaking binary applications.
> >
> > My understanding was that I could expect ABI compatibility to be preserved
> > in an upgrade between minor releases like this. Are we incorrect to make
> > this assumption?
> >
> > I found this document [1] from upstream which goes some way to documenting
> > the upstream version 7, is there similar documentation for version 6 or
> > SL6?
>
> hwloc has never been in such a list of "guaranteed compatible libs" list, but
> I also think this upgrade of hwloc from Red Hat has been a little bit unfortunate
> as this libary is in use with some extra applications outsideof the core OS.

Other than [1], do you know of any other references? I would like to get clarification on the guarantees for the 6.x series if possible.

> One improvement could have been to ship a "compat rpm" that keeps the old library in
> place... (This would solve the runtime problems, then only compile time problems
> could be looked at separately.)

Thanks, I've popped together a package based on this approach. That will get us by for now.

I'll be giving some consideration to how we upgrade if libraries like this are affected; I had wrongly assumed ABI compatibility (or a 'compat' library) applied extensively for libraries.

Thanks for your help

--
Mark