Bind works well period!
That said one of my favorite DNS appliances uses PowerDNS under the hood and it works very well too if you configure it correctly.
The others I really can't speak to because I've never used them.

It really comes down to this you need to balance your budget as compared to man hours. I tend to use appliances for my core DNS servers where ever possible because there are a lot of really good ones and I have support staff time limitations, but I also use Bind 9 slave servers to handle most of the actual query traffic because it reduces my support and equipment costs. That said if you are more concerned about the initial upfront cost and support cost than man hours Bind is the safest bet because its the standard that all the others are based on.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3

On Jan 9, 2014 19:28, Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 10/01/2014 11:16 AM, Jeremy Wellner wrote:
> I've been using BIND on RHEL5 for years and it's come time to overhaul
> those venerable DNS boxes.
>
> I've seen alot of alternatives like NSD, PowerDNS, YADIFA, and others
> but I'm wondering what experience has been with going to something other
> than BIND.
>
> Having a database backend is very attractive, but so is having a
> manageable GUI for those in the department that work with adding devices
> and are scared of text files and the black of terminal.

Use bind. DNS is all about reliability - not pretty or GUIs...

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.crc.id.au