Wow OK I have a very different perspective on this because I've been building production Linux boxes since 1996. Most of them were samba servers for small businesses to replace aging Novel NetWare servers without the cost upfront licensing cost of NT 4.0 and support being the real cost.

Back then I originally used Redhat box set and latter SuSE then switched back to RedHat for political reasons after the early versions of RHEL came out and Novel was dismantling every thing good about SuSE.

Here is how I see this Fedora started out as the box set version and RHEL was the guaranteed stable version. This allowed fedora to maintain relative stability but still try out newer technology.

CentOS started out as mostly RHEL but with a few newer leading edge libraries for PHP among other thing that web developers wanted but couldn't get on RHEL because they changed APIs RedHat had guaranteed stability and compatibility on for a set number of years.

CentOS actually does and has had a supported version for many years its actually the business model that Canonical used for Ubuntu. The difference is CentOS never advertised it as well as they should have.

In recent years mostly because of Ubuntu fedora seemed behind the times and even more so RHEL even though behind the scenes they have driven a lot of the really important developments. As a result fedora has had to go to a far more rapid model and that trickles upstream to RHEL as is very apparent in the new RHEL 7 beta which has had a lot of back push from mission critical and high security people for many good reasons.

RedHat won't kill CentOS if any thing they will use it as the new QA distro between Fedora which now their development version which replaced their old little know by most people nowadays RawHide repos.

I wouldn't have always said this about RedHat but they are excellent members of the free speech software community which far exceed the legal requirements of the GPL. Back in 1997 I used to make "MS RedHat" jokes mostly based on their insane marketing at the time, but they did what they needed to do to grow and since have evolved.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many RedHat fork distros and almost no SuSE forks. Well the answer is simple Yast at one time was a truly awesome tool but it along with the install system and many other components were proprietary. The fact that RPM ( which was originally an acronym for RedHat Package Manager and I have physical books published at the time to prove this) is a free speech software standard now is amazing. SuSE started as a Slackware fork with RPM as the package manager instead of TAR files.

No one has any thing to fear from this if any thing this is a good all around thing.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3

On Jan 7, 2014 19:39, Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, Lirodon wrote:

> And I meant that as in, they're basically OPERATING it like how they do
> Fedora; it's now run by a board that is organized by and running under Red
> Hat. As Wikipedia says, "The Fedora Project is not a separate legal entity
> or organization; Red Hat retains liability for its actions. The Fedora
> Project Board is responsible for the direction of the Fedora Project and
> comprises four Red Hat appointed members and five community-elected
> members. Additionally, Red Hat appoints a chairman who has veto power over
> any board decisi"

In comparison, the CentOS project today comprises 7 Red Hat employees out
of 9 board members.

--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/