I think this is going to be interesting. CentOS has always been a RHEL clone, and I think Red Hat might try to kill the whole idea of a free "clone."

My primary concern is that RHEL likely doesn't want to have "binary-compatibility" as it would dilute their subscription product -- in fact, in the new FAQ page they have some language specifically identifying the ways that CentOS is not the same as RHEL:

While CentOS is derived from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux codebase, CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux are distinguished by divergent build environments, QA processes, and, in some editions, different kernels and other open source components. For this reason, the CentOS binaries are not the same as the Red Hat Enterprise Linux binaries.

While the original mission page from the old CentOS states:

CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policies and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.).

I hope they don't decide to make CentOS its "own thing" so to speak, and that the original goal of "binary compatibility" is kept in tact.

But hey, if they don't, then I can always switch to Scientific Linux for my servers!