Print

On Saturday 26 January 2013 11:43 am, Larry Linder wrote:
> Down loaded SL 5.8, created DVD's and updated test system not a fresh
> install. The only causality is LibreOffice 3.5.
> When you open a LibreOffice file and try to edit a file the key board is
> disconnected.  Once you type to  a LOffice 3.5 document,  display gets
> dumb, and it eventually asks you to terminate the program.  Did SL 5.8
> install a new KDE for me?
>
> Everything else appears to work -
>
> I noticed that I now have KDE 4 as a desktop.
>
> Tried to install a new version of LibreOffice 3.6 to see if it would behave
> differently.   KDE complains that it cannot launch /usr/bin/libreOffice3.6
> and quits.
> Looked on Net and there is so much noise about KDE and this subject - Had
> to quit but never found a solution but KDE developer closed bug report.
>
> Is there a way to regress back to SL5.7 from SL 5.8 , that was on this
> system?
>
> Fortunately this is only one system and not many.
>
> Thanks
> Larry Linder

You have to install an export into your .bashrc to get the problem resolved.
For a global solution you could add it to /etc/bashrc.

What was tried.
export  OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=none   			Works
export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde4 				does not work
export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP= kde4 libreoffice	does not work
export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde4 soffice		may work on open office

used yum to remove all the openOffice and LibreOffice and reloaded
libreOffice3.5 that had previously worked and quit after system was updated
to SL 5.8.
libreOffice3.5 and libreOffice 3.6 both now work.
The side effect of this export is that a window pops up asking for a driver.
Close it and it does not seem to effect operation.

This command must change the input stream for libreOffice but not the
interrupt.   The reason I say that is that once you type a character in any
kind of document KDE freezes and even a vi of .bashrc will not function till
libreOffice is terminated.

Larry Linder