Hi Todd,
Did you create a file journal (mkfs...) after you executed the command?:
 # cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 lin-bak

Basic steps are:
1) cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/xyz
2) cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/xyz  abc   <---then verify it in /dev/mapper
3) mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/abc     <--- i like to use ext4.  Do research on this journal if you're not clear.
Now that we got it settled.  Come the fun part- automounting:
4) configure your /etc/fstab

5) then configure your /etc/crypttab

Before you reboot your machine, do a tested mount:
>mount -a

-Tam