On Jun 9, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Mark Rousell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 26/03/2012 19:33, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

>>> As I understand, the raspberry machine does not exist. As reported elsewhere,
>>> the first batch of production boards was assembled with a wrong part
>>> resulting in non-working ethernet. I did not see any reports of following
>>> production batches (fully working or not).
>>

>> While no-one has yet received a pi, I doubt that it's vaporware ;)
>>

> "no-one received", "online videos", "founders are demonstrating", "preorder now" and "available soon" is the definition of vaporware.
>
> One official vendor is:
> http://www.element14.com/community/groups/raspberry-pi
> read forum postings observe promised shipping dates in May-June.
>
> Bottom line is I cannot buy it, you cannot buy it. (For "buy" == it's in my hands. Not some promise to mail it to me later).
>
> K.O.

Just to update this, the Raspberry Pi is real and is now shipping. You
can now buy it and receive it in your hands.

It looks likely to spawn a new generation of ARM-based devices in the
same price range. I would have thought that such devices would be an
ideal target for SL.

Not likely. SL is a rebuild of an upstream vendor's industry class server OS.  If our favorite upstream vendor goes there, then that could happen. But if you look at Fedora as the leading edge of what that vendor plans for the next generation, I see no major pursuit of ARM in the next major release. Do you?

FWIW, there is some interest within the Fedora community for supporting ARM. In fact, the Fedora ARM SIG has released a Fedora 17 beta for some ARM boards. See: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

Nevertheless, I think that even if Our Favorite Vendor (™) supports ARM in some far-future release, it will still be an undertaking to support it within SL as well.

Cheers,
Lincoln