On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Mike Zanker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 07/06/2012 10:59, Tom H wrote:
>
>  I no longer use CentOS but I *think* that this was remedied through
>> the creation of a "Continuous Release" ("CR") repo.
>>

> Yes, that's pretty much correct.
>
> However, if timely updates are essential, you really should be considering
> upstream.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

Timely updates, in my professional experience, are hindered much more by
local patch policies than by the small delay between our favorite upstream
vendor's updates and Scientific Linux's release process. The delay in
CentOS a few years ago was precisely why I found out about and hopped ove
rto Scientific Linux: the friendly and effective community, the visibility
into the software building process, and the willingness to include
amazingly useful add-ons like the EPEL and Reporforge and ATrpms yum
configurations are all compelling reasons to stick around.

I understand why our favorite vendor can't include those hooks to 3rd party
repositories, but they're necessary for me to get work done with this basic
OS. Nagios hooks and updated Subversion releases are necessary fo rme.
(Heck, I'm *publishing* the Subversion RPM's to Repoforge!!)