Zxq,
i pretty much agree with all points you mentioned .
Re : privacy - my employer actively utilizes amazon as a distribution layer
only.
From consumer perspective , i was thinking to use it for 2 reasons

To have a single and easily accessible destination for junk files. And as a
backup for important files.
I do agree that Google as a backup is far from ideal (exactly  for reasons
you stated). Yet been an gmail and android user already it seems
convenient.