Hi, Graham!

New Intel NICs are pretty stable in our SL5 servers, giving now problems. We have also, Netxen, Chelsio. Intel works w/o much tuning straigh out of the box. And has some potential - with newer (newer then SL5, or custom  compiled) kernels you should be able to use it's DMA and multiple receieve interrupt vectors. Make sure you've got  the latest driver from Intel.

cheers
Artem.