Eve,

I know of two possibilities.  I had funny behavior with my Linux web
browser, too, but have been able to fix it by installing "webcore fonts".

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/fonts.html - documents
http://www.alkalay.net/software/webcore-fonts/ - packages

I have webcore-fonts-1.3-1.noarch.rpm installed on my box now, but see the
link above has newly updated packages.

Regarding the webserver, you might also check your
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file and see if you have the following line:

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

You might have to experiment with that line, or try removing it completely,
and restarting the httpd package with each change you make.

Hope this helps.
-Chris