Here's something for people with dual boot systems:

Thunderbird supports both winxp and linux, (of course), so one can have a unified email management system... at least that's what I'm trying... another excellent project that can add to the fun is mrpostman.sourceforge.net, which allows import of many webmail emails into offline email programs... supported mails include hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc etc... and what's more, it's a .jar java program, so it's platform independent too... I believe a combination of these could be an ideal email solution (Alas, no evolution on winxp), with ALL your email in one place, updated minute by minute. (Repo admins: could you include mrpostman please?)

A couple of problems i'm having doing this though:

1> The sun - java install webpage verifies that my jre 1.5 is installed correctly on SL4.0, but when I try to run Mrpostman on linux(either right click-> open with java, or gij -jar mrpostman-whatever.jar ) it simply says 'Aborted'. What do I do?

2> Since Mr postman works in winxp, I've setup thunderbird in xp with all my webmail accounts... I want to import settings into linux, but the import dialog in thunderbird doesnt allow import from arbitrary .conf files or something... how do I go about this?

3> I have created thunderbird email folders on a windows data drive, which usually appears as D: but when I plug in my USB drive, the first partition in the usb drive automagically becomes D:, and my original data drive becomes E: how do I prevent this...?

Any other 'scientific' way of doing webmail access + linux/winxp interoperability for email?

Similarly, I suggest using sunbird with a calendar file created on a windows partition, so that both linux/win can access it. And open office on both winxp and linux. And VLC media player on both OSs for DVDs.. :) Any more suggestions from the community for people in the process of migration?

Thanks,

--Vaibhav