If they're ssh'ing in, why are they running gnome jobs, unless their .bashrc
or .login explicitly includes those commands?

Some easy options (but may be ugly on the user end): in sshd_config, turn off
agent forwarding and X11 forwarding.  That will prevent agent from working
and X11 from getting a display via ssh proxy.

Otherwise, I'd fix their login scripts so the X and agent stuff isn't run if
logging in via ssh (check for ssh environment variable, see sshd manpage for
details).

Finally, you can touch /etc/nologin or remove those visitors from
/etc/passwd.

Sorry, that last paragraph was a joke.

Regards,
Dan W.