SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2023

From:
Laura Hild <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Hild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2023 22:07:38 +0000
> But shrinking a partition is something that is far less likely to need
> to be done in an enterprise environment (compared to me fighting with
> too old hardware at home), so maybe that doesn't really matter.

Especially if you use LVM and leave free space in the VG.  If you're a
slice-and-dicer and you fully allocate and/or use fixed partitions, then
using XFS you may come to regret, say, a 10 gig /var and a multi-hundred
gig root, but if you left root closer to the size it needed to be, you
just lvextend and xfs_growfs as needed.