SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2023

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:26:33 -0800
The hardware issue with VME not connected to any external (Internet
accessible) network is a fact of life.

The SL6 issue is a different matter.  Not only are various applications
vulnerable to compromises from the Internet, but so is the kernel as
well as kernel systems support software.  As vulnerabilities are
"discovered", patches/re-writes also should be made available to lessen
the risk of a compromise.  The mechanical bicycle analogy is not truly
applicable.  A macroscopic mechanical device can be kept in service
provided spares are available, can be substituted (different
derailleur), or fabricated (appropriate materials, machine tools,
castings, forgings, etc).  Software (or hardware/firmware that can be
compromised through hard "backdoors") repair is not trivial and
typically not worth the effort if updates are available that maintain
backward compatibility.  If backward compatibility is needed but not
available, and there are vulnerabilities, then a risk analysis must be
evaluated.