SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2023

From:
olli hauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
olli hauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2023 15:00:54 +0100
On 2023-01-07 07:50, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

>>> I cannot ssh to SL6 machines from current MacOS or Debian 20 or 22:
>>
>> SL 6 is obsolete, maybe time to upgrade?
>>

> Looking on my list of SL6 machines:
>
> experiment stations: dragon, musr, bnmr/bnqr, pol, titan. these are medium/small sized experiments,
> all software updates must be coordinated with experiment people. each experiment station
> has 2 or 3 SL6 computers (analysis station and VME frontend processor). install ubuntu 22.04,
> rebuild all experiment software, make experiment work again. takes about 1 month of calendar
> time per experiment station.
>
> two twist computers: upgrade by turning them off, they only exist to run Absoft and Intel F90 compilers.
>
> T2K/ND280 in Japan (JParc): update from SL5 recently completed.
>
> DEAP dark matter search at SNOlab: running SL6 and will not be upgraded.
>
> one former central server runs SL6 to run ruby-on-rails-based inventory database (does not work
> on ubuntu). likely "upgrade" is move from physical machine to a VM. ("Just rewrite your inventory
> database using the latest framework-du-jour!", "yessir! getting on it right away, sir!").
>
> For some experiments, upgrade from CentOS-7 to Ubuntu 22 and upgrade from Ubuntu 20 to Ubuntu 22
> has higher priority than upgrades from SL6.
>
> So SL6 machines exist, they perform useful function, it takes a significant effort to upgrade
> them (with no functional gain). In the mean time, nobody apprecates unnecessary rocking
> the boat (breaking SSH, HTTPS, etc).

What about building this in a SL6/CentOS6 containers and maybe having the benefit the container
works then even on <favorite-current-linux> or K8s platform?

For OpenSSH it would be possible to build a current release from source (I've done it once years
ago for a private ExtremeNetworks switch, so I suspect it would be even possible for CentOS 6)