SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:14:09 -0700
At one time we faced a perhaps similar dilemma:  hardware with
proprietary software/firmware that would not support then current
security/encryption methods/protocols.  The hardware could not be
replaced for two reasons:  it was integrated into specific systems that
were in use; the vendor did not support the old hardware and we had
insufficient external funding to replace all of the systems that would
need to be replaced for compatibility with the vendor then current
products.  The solution we used was to put a physical dedicated buffer
computer (not virtual, no hypervisor) between all network accesses to
the affected hardware system and the buffer machine was only on an
internal network, as would be the affected hardware, all behind the
"hardening" of our Internet connected networks (that included a
honey-pot sacrificial "trap").  The buffer machine did a bi-directional
translation from current methods to what was required by the affected
hardware.  In addition, there was a terminal console machine that could
be attached directly to the affected hardware platform and environment
allowing us to fully manually configure -- in so far as the proprietary
environment allowed -- as an "emergency" measure (that we rarely had to
use).  There was some increase in latency, but as the affected hardware
was not a real time system but merely a "low" latency and "high"
throughput system, the increased latency and lowered throughput did not
impact the usages of the affected hardware, and was fully transparent to
the end users of the entire system.