SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2021

From:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:15:47 +0000
On Sat, 13 Nov 2021, Ekkard Gerlach wrote:

> Sorry, my customer is bound to SL 6.10, a medical programm is only supported
> under 6.10 (and ubuntu 20.04)

Ubuntu 20.04 is an LTS version, in long-term support until ...
mainstream April 2023, extended security maintenance April 2030.

I would see when the medical program will be supported on Ubuntu 22.04
(the next Ubuntu LTS version, due out next spring) and move to Ubuntu
20.04 or 22.04.

> , a new server was just installed 2 months ago
> for 25 linux workstations (XDMCP linux clients, Win10 with NX ). Thats the
> server for next 5-7 years!! No update possible, special features for
> userfriendly communication with medical server in internet only supported
> under 6.10. , NOT 7.x , 8.X!!

> Once again: who has idea why nxserver 3.2.0-74 is locked/ blocked?

I see you are using
 	xhost +
Even in SL6 that was considered very insecure.
Could you/they switch to xauth security instead ?

If you are using heavy graphics and need GPU, DRI or OpenGL you may be
stuck with NX, but otherwise I would consider switching to using VNC
for the display connection.
Oh, I see that NX supports VNC clients; I would try that, perhaps in
windowed mode if that suits your use, rather than having the whole
desktop sesson on the medical server.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Kendal, UK