SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2021

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2021 09:08:17 -0500
On 10/26/21 8:21 AM, Mark Stodola wrote:
> I haven't checked in on this in quite some time.  Has there been a clear
> preference to Rocky over Alma thus far?  I know I intend to use one or
> the other, but would be curious to know the direction of the wind among
> the scientific community.

First, I want to make it clear that I'm heavily involved with Rocky and
thus biased. :-)

I don't think there is a "winner". I think it is great we have two
options replacing CentOS. I've got nothing against Alma. However, I
don't know what kind of HPC/Scientific community it has so I can't
comment there.

But I do know that Rocky already has a lot of strong support in the
scientific and HPC world and it's growing. I know of some /really/ big
systems running Rocky already with more planned. I know a few have some
announcements planned for SuperComputing this year and I don't want to
steal their thunder. :-)
If you are interested in more information, you can create an account at
chat.rockylinux.org and then add the SIG/HPC channel to chat with a lot
of people in the Rocky HPC community.

Happy computing!
~Stack~