SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:41:09 -0700
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.centos.org_centos-2Dstream_&d=DwIDaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=yAaeW4f9xtdQ08yhjVT7qX0S-gAsNpSY7Id7ezyAphLTZ0NKDsy2d7J4TEXPsD9f&s=jyhYWm05q9jDkTXiroxs-GQK4CsUiTsZppNzv8Z2wsg&e=
shows "9" as well as "8", with "9" "coming soon".  Typically, when there
is a new IBM RHEL major release, one becomes motivated to transition to
avoid "obsolescence" issues (library "X.n" does not exist in major
release M, has not been reliably back-ported to M, but is supported in
M+1).  For many real time control and data acquisition systems that have
internal experimental group support (as with some of the HEP
collaborations), this may not be such an issue, but for those of us who
use a variety of utility applications we did not write (for display,
analysis, simulation, and the like), this can be a significant issue.
Thus, will Fermilab/CERN et al. be staying with CentOS Stream 8, or will
there be a further transition to 9 in the not too distant future?

If Fermilab/CERN is "staying" with 8, will the equivalent of the current
Fermilab SL "support" still exist for those of us not part of a HEP
collaboration (that is, not a signatory to a HEP collaboration
"agreement/contract") or are such of us in "broader science research"
left to the mercy of whatever CentOS Stream will offer?  Will there be
an equivalent to this SL list for those of us in such "broader science
research", or again, will it simply be the CentOS Stream list/s?

I bluntly can state that the a major lack of Ubuntu LTS current
production release "support" is lack of the equivalent of this SL list
-- only support for fee has some equivalent of this SL list, and from
communication with others who use that support, it does not have the
candor and specific instructions (use this RPM, and then do ... , etc.)
that often are communicated on this SL list (as is expected from a
vendor employee who is not allowed to deviate from the vendor "party
line").  In terms of stability and "package availability" as well as
"new/er" hardware support, Ubuntu LTS does seem adequate -- except when
a specific detailed issue arises and the Ask Ubuntu system does not
supply an answer (many "reads", no meaningful applicable "answers").