SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2021 08:57:22 -0700
These are NOT my demands -- these are standard ergonomic engineering
approaches.  This is why the operation of a road vehicle is the same in
all modern vehicles -- save for upon which side of the road one drives
("right" vs "left" hand).  As a counter example, one of my colleagues
has been using MS Office XP for a long time.  She was forced to convert
to a later MS Office, and the controls have changed -- as she stated
"why did they hide the open dialog, and the word count is moved to a
completely different ... ".  Thus, I use MATE and sometimes an actual
terminal (not a GUI) CLI interface, neither the current Gnome nor KDE
(originally, an interface "clone" of Unix CDE).  For CIFS, it appears
that there is no equivalent of MATE for "traditional unix/bsd/linux
commands".  There are well understood reasons for a significant change
in a control interface -- motor vehicles need a different interface than
a "beast of burden" drawn vehicle, the invention of saddle and stirrups
made major improvements to horse riding (but there a still persons who
use the older technology).