SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:20:33 -0700
This is a poor design decision on the part of the Linux systems
implementers, as it breaks backward compatibility.  There is no reason
that an "auto-translator" from CIFS to what has been used in
unix/BSD/linux for a very long time should not have been implemented.
Although this practice is not uncommon in the profiteer sector as
planned obsolescence for cash flow and other fiscal measures dominate,
and for which the customers have very little control (the typical EULA
is similar to the Godfather's offer you cannot refuse), it should be
different in the open systems source code sector.  Has anyone written a
script that converts "old" into CIFS?

Yasha Karant