SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:34:00 -0700
One SSD had an internal short and turned into a space heater, luckily
there was no fire. End excerpt.

Clearly, there is very poor safety engineering and/or quality control
(as with certain Li batteries that did similar things in personal
devices being operated by the user).  If that SSD had been inside a
laptop (presumably, inside a rack mounted disk farm and there were fire
extinguishers and possibly a machine room fire suppression system),
things could have had a much worse outcome (most laptops have
combustible materials).

As for the small amount of storage, the commentator is at a reasonably
well funded (through government sources and possible tax-deductible or
glamour philanthropy) HEP facility.  Much of the world, including
non-collaboration funded university research facilities have rather poor
funding at most entities within the USA (not all faculty members can be
at Harvard, Stanford, etc.) -- administrative and some instructional
facilities typically can get much more.  Many universities now outsource
to paid "cloud" storage, with all of the issues that may entail.