SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2021

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2021 07:13:48 -0400
On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 7:09 AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 1:08 PM Dave Dykstra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > The installer gives choices for different levels of installs, and for
> > partitioning.  Of course you can always add packages later too.  Try it.
> >
> > As in the past, upgrading a RHEL-based minor release can be done in
> > place but upgrading major releases (e.g. 7 -> 8) need fresh installs.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Doing a better job of RHEL 8's published graphical installer could be
> done, but it would no longer be directly Red Hat based. Frankly, I
> gave up on the things for large environments, and published PXE setups
> with kickstart files that had *much* finer resolution of deployment,
> especially using multiple %post scripts to keep the operations in sane
> source control, to set varieties of PXE configs for distinct setups,
> and that did basic things like running "yum -y update" or "yum -y
> install epel-release && yum -y install [ useful bits ]" as needed.

And oh, yes, I carefull told those kickstart files to put a copy of
the kickstart file in /root/kickstart.ks, because what happens in
/root/anaconds.ks is not the recipe that goes into a kickstart setup.
It's what comes out after the kickstart file has been digested, and is
not suitable for serving to others. Yes, it's a colorful metaphor:
this has been going on for more than 20 years.