SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2021 19:59:00 -0700
Typically, a minimal install for a workstation is some window manager
and bare bones utilities.  Assuming one wants either a fully functional
workstation or a server, how does one move from the bare bones to what
one wants?

On previous major release SL installs (and current Ubuntu LTS initial
install -- after that, one seems to be able to get to later major
releases without doing a full install, merely upgrade in place), I get
to install "packages" I want from the base distro, and then I expand
from the other repos.  A bare bones install seems as it might not have
the packages one wants.

Also, does a bare bones install allow for manual partitioning of a drive
(both "hard" and SSD)?

Yasha Karant