SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2021

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:33:17 -0400
As a bunch of dirty finger engineers we have a serious problem with the
the path that Linux has taken.

Be forwarned that when you migrate to 7 and later the 32 libs are gone
and most applications will not work or install.

SL 6.9 is also missing a lot of the 32 bit libs and the graphics do not
work.

This is crude but effective.
We have a SL 6.5 server that has been updated to SL 6.9 but still had
the 32 bit libs we needed.
We just crated a bastard version of 7.6 with 32 bit libs.  We did it by
the brail method.  When the appication complained about a missing lib we
added it.   The list was initially long but on closer inspection a lot
of the error messages are redundant.  After a few hours of work our
engineering applications installed and worked.  This is a blind alley,
but it gave us a few years to get a real solution to the problem.

Reading between the lines - IBM & RedHat want the users who use
independent installations to just go away.  They wont say it but actions
are pretty hard to gloss over.  All you have to do is use Gnome for a
while and your finger falls off due to terrible number of clicks to do
something simple.

We tried Alma, and Rock and they contain the fatel install flwas IBM
invented with 7. and up.   Alma is just the same as RH 8.x complete with
flaws and booby traps.  I pointed this out to the Alma people and thy
shot the messenger.

Never trust the install process in the "custom" world because it is
hopelessly broken, it will erase any disk attached even if you tell it
not to format it.  Can you imagine a 40 Tera byte server - errased and
the rebuild from back up.

BEFORE you attempt to upgrade you system - YOU BETTER HAVE A BULLET
PROOF BACKUP that is NOT Connected !!!!.  - No BS.

The Debian drivatives have a similar problem.  If you remove an
application for a second time.  The C++ toss is never caught and remains
active.  The next removal it erases all disks attached.  How about that
for code testing - it compiles without errors - ship it.  Damm glad
these people never build bridges or control for Aircraft - opps the 737
max 8 is a victum of the sw people don't know how an airplane flys.

The sad part is no one up stream gives a "  " .

to 6.9 so we can get our work done.  We are evaluating other options,
and just loaded a box with BSD to test.

Regards
Larry Linder