SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2021 20:51:35 -0700
Before the UUID method was introduced, cloning was not an issue.

This brings up a second issue.  Assume that the cloning works using a
hardware cloning device -- that has worked before between different
vendor's physical hard drives of the nominally same capacity or that
worked by cloning a smaller drive onto a larger drive and then
formatting the "unformatted" larger portion, etc. (I have done this both
with EIDE and SATA drives -- and SCSI long ago on rack-mounted systems.)
What happens if one attempts to use the "old" drive in a, say, SATA to
USB adapter that normally would allow a SATA drive to mount as a USB device?

As the internal harddrive and the USB mounted external hard drive have
the same UUIDs (clones), there would be a conflict. (This approach did
work before UUIDs, even with the same named partitions -- one manually
mounted a /usr partition on the external drive under a mount point such
as /usrusb, and the like -- new mount points for, say, /dev/sdc1 that
had the same name -- /usr -- as /dev/sda1.)

Is there any similar "trick" for mounting an external hard drive via a
USB interface (or any other such interface to a different standard) even
though nominally each has the same "identifier", now a UUID?