SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2021 19:47:31 -0700
 From below:

I get a consistent build with any of the three OS every time.

Is Kickstart a mechanism to build (from source) an EL8 image that is
then bootable and installable?

My understanding is that using Kickstart, one could arrange for the
appropriate disk partitions (including those such as /home or /opt that
should not be touched by any new install, merely made accessible under
the new OS), and the installation of the new release RPMs into the new
target OS (e.g., generate a kickstart in SL7 and then modify that
kickstart 7 using the RL described application to kickstart 8 that would
correctly install, say, AlmaLinux 8, from the "binary executable" RPMs,
not SRPMs) without the issues that have been described for the current
EL8 production Anaconda.

Am I missing something?