SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2021 17:43:49 -0700
 From the Proofpoint URL (that Mozilla Thunderbird Bluhell reports as a
"click through") and that translates to:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__access.redhat.com_documentation_en-2Dus_red-5Fhat-5Fenterprise-5Flinux_8_html-2Dsingle_performing-5Fan-5Fadvanced-5Frhel-5Finstallation_index-23bht.cd562e2a-2Dc743-2D442e-2Dafea-2D4a0a644b567a.7&d=DwIDaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=5QVvunZPOpisz1tvqpaD8tJ-w5kUxQOjP4riwIx6tEw&s=-dkcAFjruac91EaDXEXWhcqs545EJhktibPpjkyNOvs&e=

Converting a RHEL 7 Kickstart file for RHEL 8 installation

You can use the Kickstart Converter tool to convert a RHEL 7 Kickstart
file for use in a new RHEL 8 installation. For more information about
the tool and how to use it to convert a RHEL 7 Kickstart file, see
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__access.redhat.com_labs_kickstartconvert_&d=DwIDaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=5QVvunZPOpisz1tvqpaD8tJ-w5kUxQOjP4riwIx6tEw&s=dbbJeNHpQdBEpbXgURXhMZHJztbOwgAw86LhRHjLl1o&e=

End excerpt.

Presumably, those who have a working SL 7 could use the above technique
to create the Kickstart install for UDEL8 (UD -- Unspecified
Distribution).  Has anyone tried it?  Does it work?

Note that for Ubuntu LTS, I took a machine from Ubuntu 18LTS to Ubuntu
20LTS without any complete reformat and install -- the partitions,
utilities, etc., were upreleased to the 20LTS version, and utilities
that were superseded/obsoleted and when necessary to be replaced by a
utility of a different "name" was properly done ("everything worked").
The amount of manual configuration that I have had to do going from EL
major release N to N+1 was far greater than Ubuntu LTS major release update.