SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2021

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2021 02:36:05 -0400
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 6:22 PM Konstantin Olchanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 11:00:00PM +0100, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 May 2021, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> >
> > >- first slide of "distribution landscape" is nonsense,
> > >with everybody stuck with el7 for another 3 years and
> > >bye, bye, c++14, c++17, c++20.
> >
> > Is Red Hat Developer Toolset 10
> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__access.redhat.com_documentation_en-2Dus_red-5Fhat-5Fdeveloper-5Ftoolset_10_html_10.0-5Frelease-5Fnotes_dts10.0-5Frelease-23Changes-5Fin-5FDTS&d=DwIBAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=Chv7ZrLnQII3dvv1o48KTg7YAxT9SNUUCkOkflNOCd4&s=bZUlWtCI03IJ95QWY-_DTkmqMdwOzXq8PVBkiR1dZLM&e=
> > not an option ?
> >
> > (OK, C++20 support in g++ 10.2.1 is "experimental).
> >

> And so what?
>
> I can take SL-6 and graft modern versions of all important packages,
> one does not even need the devtoolset, GCC is easy to build from sources.

Been there, done that, it's not as easy as you might think.
Backporting modern releases of Subversion or OpenSSH to RHEL 6 based
operating systems gets into dependency hell for critical libraries
fairly quickly, especially core system libraries like glibc and
gnutls. Don't get me *started* on the python dependency chains.

> But this is no longer "SL-6", it is "SL-6-KO1", at best.

It's common place with every major operating system. Sometimes the
base operating system lacks some critical components and dependencies.
I publish backports for Samba, and have done so for subversion, git ,
and openssh.

> Same thing, "CentOS-7 with devtoolset, php from webtatic, python from pip, kernel from ELREPO, etc" is not CentOS-7.
>
> It is an irreproducible Franken-monster-bashed-together-locally thing.

And English has irregular verbs, and some people have some very
strange pronouns and peculiar colors of skin, or even wear glasses or
have embedded metal or plastic bits to replace joints or lenses or
even nerves.

> Is this the new standard, the best way to go, "the new thing" for production environments?

I can testify with more than 30 years in the business that it always
has been done as needed. I used to staple components onto Red Hat
systems as needed for a network of roughly 13,000 hardened servers
over at Akamai roughly 20 years ago. It's not unusual.