SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2021

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2021 16:39:17 -0400
Another linux installation and test.

AlmaLinux 8.3

1. The first thing we noticed is that the displays were backward. 2 is
on the left 1 is on the right.  It maters because when you use VMware
and multiple OS - just another pain.

2.  When you do an install it all on the right hand monitor and there is
no way to change it unless you interchange monitor cables.

3.  The network connection, setting up root, and a user was good.

4.  We do not use lvm and our setup is a carryover from my Convex Super
Computer day.  Use the Custom button and then done and you should be
able to setup your file system in a minute.
This turned out to be the most convoluted exercise I have experienced in
a long time.  The OS is installed on a SSD and the other three disks are
to be mounted but not formatted to preserve the drive contents.
As it turns out you are flying blind because there is no disk info.  You
have to go back to your hex calculator - between your ears - and set up
partition sizes.  Most of the familiar partitions are gone.  The ones
you want to preserve have odd sdx numbers as in maybe random.  Once this
was complete - about 8 hr of dinking with it to try and decode the
scheme.  The we were able to install almaLinux 8.3 full version.   It
was pretty quick because we were installing from a local disk.
We rebooted, it got hung up on a usb scanner attached to the system.
Power down / up and cold boot - like the days of DOS and it finally
booted up.
Inspecting the directories we found that several mount points were
missing and the disks we wanted to mount, no format, to preserve the
data were empty. This even included the disk that contained the .iso
file we installed from!  This is really bull shit code.
How can on take a very simple working function that has worked for 20
years and basterdize it to the point of being less than worthless.  Does
anyone check their work - it compiles without errors - ship it - Why do
you hire minions?

5. The next thing was to add users.  This has regressed to a exercise in
typing skills - hello DOS.  The adduser GUI is for a network and was
never finished.  Another nice piece of code.

6. To be kind to the Gnome desktop - it is another convuleted ugly
abortion.  To get simple stuff done takes a dozen mouse clicks.  You
can't easily setup anything.  You are simply using the IBM computer -
just like "Bill's" computer.
Late last night I had to quit as my neurons were rebelling and my head
hurt.
At this pint we will reformat the disks and start looking for another
possible Linux.

7. In Summary:
The linux developers have lost their way in the middle of the nigh and
got a computer confused with -ba ba bh bh - bs etc.
The cost of installation and ownership is through the roof with a high
physical effort to do simple stuff.  almaLinux is the same stinking pile
as RH 8 but with a different name.  Even at no cost it's still too
expensive and unproductive to use in a business. - every mouse click
costs.

We are using SL 6.9 and SL 7.6 because there is no alternative for us so
far. 7.9 is broken so never upgrade to it your internet goes away.

The minuans at IBM have spent 10 years and millions destroying a very
reliable, functional OS.  This may be the last of Linux.  It is no more
fun - just another pain in the posterior.

So out all the smoke the only OS that was even comes close to being
acceptable is MINT.  Don't like their desktop either but at least you
can find things and it worked - we beat on it for a month and it ran
VMware, and VariCAD, and others with out a problem.  It also has the bad
code in the remove program that can wipe you disk.  Not good for a
server.

My though in the middle of the night was "Please God have someone fork
SL 6.5"

This may be my last post as we are running out of time.
Thank you for your help in the past.  I will miss you all.

Regards
Larry Linder