SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2021 08:32:22 -0700
You stated:

all sorts of tests that we can't do in
public, and make tweaks and changes that we can't do in public.  This is
mainly due to hardware NDA's, and security stuff.

End excerpt.

1.  Are these NDA enabled tweaks, changes, and tests that are in the
production releases of IBM RH EL ("binary" installable "executables"
only available under license for fee) fully and identically
(defect-for-defect, etc) reproduced currently in CentOS (soon to be EOL)
and thus in SL, etc., assuming that these are built from the IBM RH
released source code?

2. "Security" -- you are including in this term the "hardening" of EL
compared to, say, Fedora or "enthusiast" distributions.  If the
"security" is done to any application that is derivative of a source
code file that is under an "open systems" EULA, my understanding is that
IBM RH would be required to release, not under NDA, the same security
modifications.

2.1  Presumably, the large staff of legal professionals (eg, JDs)
employed by IBM (and thus IBM RH) would do whatever is necessary through
torts, actions, etc., to prevent the release of (1) or (2) to non-IBM
entities if release is viewed to negatively impact the "financials" of
IBM (including market share, cash flow, etc.).  Even if the "other side"
has deep enough pockets to counter the above, by the time interval that
the legal proceedings have concluded (unless these result in a permanent
enforceable consent decree against the company and any of its successors
-- tied to the intellectual property and the derivatives/successors
thereof, not the current owner thereof), the modifications effectively
are syntactically "obsolete".

Yasha Karant