SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2021

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2021 15:53:53 -0500
On 5/4/21 3:42 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> You state that there will not be a CentOS 9 and only a CentOS Stream
> perpetual alpha or beta channel.  I thought that IBM RH would not
> directly release buildable production EL source, but would channel it
> under a CentOS moniker.  CentOS Stream is *NOT* production source.
> How does IAS Springdale, Rocky, Alma, etc., get buildable production
> source for IBM RHEL9?  Does one have to buy the source from IBM RH?
> Will IBM RH or another IBM entity house the production source for the
> current production EL?  What about the defect correction, including
> security defects, as well as minor release, update production source?

I encourage you to watch Troy's video posted earlier.

RHEL employees answer these questions.  CentOS Stream will be released
as a new point release every 3 years, and end after 5 (same as RHEL
general support).  CentOS Stream is the continuous integration that
later becomes the minor point releases for RHEL. RedHat intends to
continue to supply the RHEL source as they have been and is not making
any effort to hinder the rebuilders (Alma, Princeton, Rocky, etc).