SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2021 19:39:13 -0500
Greetings,

On 4/3/21 10:39 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> In the For What It's Worth department:
>

> AlmaLinux stable release is now available.  I've used the
> almalinux-deploy shell script [snip links]
>
> I'm planning to do the same thing with RockyLinux on another couple of
> CentOS 8 VMs, and I'm planning to do the same with Springdale.  This is
> for migrating already deployed CentOS 8 only; new deployments around
> here are Debian 10, soon to be 11.

I've been testing Alma out since they released their first beta. It
works pretty much like I would expect RHEL 8.3 to work. Honestly, pretty
boring and routine when I put it through its paces. Pretty much exactly
what I expect and hope for out of a RHEL clone. So that gets flying
colors from me.

I did notice that an application that says it works with RHEL + clones
had issues with Alma, but I'm pretty certain it was because of the app
being confused by seeing Alma in /etc/release. Although it didn't
improve any when I copied over a CentOS release file. :shrug: I've let
the application vendor know as I think it is more of an issue with them
then Alma.

The one thing I would be curious about is how good do you find their
support?

Personally, I've reached out a few times and haven't heard a peep back
from them. Not via email and not via their Reddit "community". Although
they just had a discourse forum go up four days ago and I've not tried
that. I was a bit frustrated at them that I couldn't report back a
problem I found. Instead I <scratch>complained</scratch> spoke to an
acquaintance who is one of their cloud customers. He reported it and
they responded instantly.

OK. Fine. They are a company. Makes sense they would listen and care
about what their paying customers are saying. However, I found it
frustrating and rude that I didn't get a single response back from
Reddit and email when I was attempting to help Alma by reporting a problem.

Am I alone? Has anyone else tried reaching out to Alma and gotten

On that front alone, I'm loving the Rocky community. It is a proper
community.

Just my 2 cents.
~Stack~