SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:52:06 -0700
Given the use of CentOS 8 stream, I am curious about support and
"hardening".  Some of the Fermilab and CERN machines are connected to
the outside Internet (WAN), including (as I recall) some of the
connections between CERN and the various EU, USA, etc., HEP
collaborators (although over VPNs within the collaborations if memory
serves, pursuant to any restrictions from governments not being able to
surveil all traffic within the jurisdiction of those governments that
fully surveil everything).  Is Fermilab/CERN/other HEP collaborators
providing the support needed to convert CentOS 8 stream into an
"enterprise production" environment?  I assume that as new releases of
stream (semi-beta) are released, there are test platforms identical to
production machines at both CERN and Fermilab, and that the test
platforms are *NOT* used for data collection, analysis, communications,
etc., but upon which it can be determined if the latest release is
sufficiently stable for vital production work.  Likewise for the various
security updates as these are released.