SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:33:59 -0700
You state:

If you are just doing it for the money, please go into investing, not
into engineering.

I fully agree.  However, in a monetized or equivalent socio-economic
system (e.g., whether it is the neo-liberal USA, nomenklaturist former
USSR, or neo-fascist economy of the current PRC), engineering has no
control over how the monetizers behave unless, following a professional
code of conduct and ethics, and assuming that there is no compulsion
(imprisonment, execution, etc.), the only choice is to withhold work. I
do not know the details of the system you engineered (and presumably
produced) that you describe. However, if the corporation (as I presume
you took that legal ploy to avoid unlimited personal liability) that has
the intellectual property sells that IP to a profiteer investor, then
your product will both be lessened in quality and raised in price, and
outsourced to the lowest cost of production (cost efficiency). If you
personally own the IP and can afford IP infringement legal battles, then
the copycat infringer with lower costs -- and lower quality -- perhaps
can be stopped from obtaining market dominance. The argument that
"computer software" cannot kill people, even monetary accounting
software, is demonstrably false, as you point out below for real-time
"control" systems.  Whilst I agree with making the "dancing bearware" a
criminal offense on the part of the profiteer management that forced the
production of such defective and dangerous products (all software has
defects, but all defects need to have fail-safes and overrides, and
there should be enough testing -- with edge and impossible conditions --
to detect "all" the dangerous defects), one must recall that most
systems of government are the best that "money" can buy, historically
ending in societal collapse.  To the best of my knowledge, there was no
criminal prosecution in the USA of any senior management that made the
Ford Pinto decisions.