SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2021 18:19:02 -0400
On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 5:52 PM Konstantin Olchanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 11:39:17AM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> >
> > AlmaLinux stable release is now available.
> >

> Question is: but for how long? until red hat pulls a centos on them?
>
> P.S.
>
> My message is "FU!D". Fear, check! Uncertainty, check! Deception? Nope, happened
> before, will happen again. cease&desist letters, AT&T/BSDI and SCO/IBM-style
> law suits, offers-you-cannot-refuse to principal developers, etc.

The various open source and GPL licenses prevent most of that. Pulling
a CentOS.... would take a decade at least, and they'd need to
basically hire the key AlmaLinux crew, and it would cost significant
money. Keeping an OS integrated and stable is a great deal of work,
I'd keep much more of an eye open for personal issues among the core
developers. The AlmaLinux 8.x seems good quality so far, with
unfortunate issues precisely replicing those of RHEL installation
media, such as an absurd number of confusingly distinct software
channels, and no default mirror list on the network bootable media.