SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:58:20 -0700
That is precisely what I did -- install from media -- but during the
install (if memory serves -- this may have been another distro that I
had to install on an enduser machine), the option to update was given
(as the bootable ISO install image was not "current" with the latest
security updates, etc) and then a choice of mirrors appeared.  As I
recall, if a particular mirror was off-line, etc, one could then return
to the mirror choice and choose a different mirror.

Our real network throughput was too low in most cases to do a full
install over the Internet (although an image on a LAN SAN/NAS had enough
throughput); as the security update had to be done in any event, I did
this during initial install if possible (with later updates done on the
installed resulting live system -- we were not using a Type 1 hypervisor
system with deployable full supervisor OS image and had tried several
central deployment options, chef, etc, but mostly did things by hand).

Again, the update during install may not have been from SL, as I have
not done a fresh install of SL since the advent of SL 7.