SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:38:13 -0500
Probably not applicable to many installations, but when I was the sole admin for
a couple of compute clusters, raid systems, and numerous backend servers,
*everything* I did required root privs, so I just set them all up so when I
ssh'd in, I was root.  Didn't have time to mess with the extra sudo steps to be
root, as I was in and out of my systems constantly all day long.
Never once did that bite me.

Although, I would use a sudo config to allow certain trusted engineers or
professors on just specific systems to run specific apps/commands that needed
root privs, which also generated an audit trail in the logs, and an email to me,
of what commands they invoked (or tried to invoke) - just in case they tried to
do something they shouldn't.

But my methodology is definitely not for installations with two or more admins.

- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-693-7418) | IT Administrator (retired)
810 Ventura Rd.                | High Energy Physics Group