SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2021 11:57:45 -0700

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__almalinux.org_&d=DwID-g&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=KU_K6Bb6uJskkQm0ARvjm17xkYDdWaB3_FkejuJOG48&s=0dJ5TofplnmjW7jomirkBqLAnePLrd6g4rgnOAamFZw&e=

  As a standalone, completely free OS, AlmaLinux OS enjoys $1M in annual
sponsorship from CloudLinux Inc. We will support future RHELŪ releases
by updating AlmaLinux OS. Ongoing development efforts are governed by
the members of the community.

The AlmaLinux OS Foundation is a 501(c)(6) non-profit created for the
benefit of the AlmaLinux OS community.

Until when will we support AlmaLinux OS?

CloudLinux has committed to supporting AlmaLinux OS until 2029,
including stable and thoroughly tested updates and security patches.

End excerpts.

Is IBM RH required under the GPL and Linux licenses to release without
charge the fully buildable source code for whatever Linux derivatives
IBM RH provides under binary executable installable license for fee?  I
understand this does not include the logo intellectual property.  Can
IBM RH deny Internet access to the requisite files and require a media
charge (say, $1k for a set of DVDs or Blurays with the actual source)?

If so, and if the AlmaLinux OS Foundation with $1M in annual sponsorship
from CloudLinux Inc. continues to exist, this entity should have the
professional staff to port and maintain AlmaLinux (AL).  However, this
SL list will evaporate once Fermilab/CERN discontinue SL.  Is there
going to be a new ELC (Enterprise Linux Clone) list, and if so, does
Fermilab have the disposable human, etc., resources to provide such (a
question to Fermilab management)?

Note that the AL promise "kicks the can down the road" until 2029, but
that is 8 years to look for additional solutions, and will include EL9
or whatever IBM RH will call the release that fills the EL role.

IF AL delivers on the above, this should be a viable path forward.  I
will install and test this on a new drive that is arriving.  My
understanding is that EL8 (AL8) has a different initial install
procedure from SL6 and SL7 -- is that correct?

Will EPEL, ElRepo, etc., continue to support AL8 with the various
package, drivers, and utilities that base EL8 "lacks"?