SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 05:55:03 -0400
On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 5:23 AM Takashi Ichihara
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >> My recollection of a fresh install of SL (it has been a number of years,
> > and thus memory may be defective) is that SL provided a set of mirrors.
> > Is one to assume that AL8 has no such mirrors or that AL8 network
> > bootable media does not include the list so established?
>
> Just one comment.
>
> AlmaLinux already has a lot of mirros! ( 75 mirror sites now :-) )
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mirrors.almalinux.org_&d=DwIBaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=y7r9iro2whYATmZvTlfDdVMBibosCwY4wOi8tLPubYc&s=iNBj7JqH-k8I7-Rb1JRBt7cEypGutVRrBPCPo7siPmc&e=

RHEL 8 installation media do not have a console selectable "pick a
mirror from this list to install from", nor does CentOS 8. You have to
type it in manually in the network based installation interface, or
work from the installation DVD rather than the netinstall ISO and
avoid network installation altogether. AlmaLinux 8 would have to
violate binary consistency with RHEL to fix this flaw.

This kind of stupidity is one of customer burdening regression in a
vital tool is one of the reasons I'm not happy with RHEL 8 and the
clones, and am not championing it.