SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2021 19:46:20 -0700
Hi Jack,

Thanks very much for the update.

Is AlmaLinux (AL) therefore going to be supported at as well as SL was
(is, until SL is EOL, currently on end of releases) with paid
professional staff for whom this is a responsibility in addition to
being something of real (not just gainful employment) interest?  Unlike
IBM RH EL or Canonical Ubuntu LTS, AL will have sufficient funding that
in the event the for-profit corporation that started AL decides for
financial gain to do an IBM RH Centos play, AL will continue? In the
event that IBM RH only releases the absolute minimum of source code that
the GPL, Linux, etc., open source licenses require, is AL planned to
have the human, hardware, network bandwidth, and physical location
resources to continue to support and develop AL as a viable hardened
enterprise solution on all scales (from laptop workstations to large
scale distributed compute engines)?

As this SL list presumably will end with the EOL of SL, will AL start
(or currently has) such a list?  I am not referring to the "Ask Ubuntu",
etc., lists, but one that has working professionals addressing real
working issues (generally, not including "eye candy")?  I have
continually been reminded on Ask Ubuntu that all of the work is
volunteer; if one wants real Canonical "engineers", one pays.  On this
list, there are comments and responses from paid professional Fermilab
staff persons (as well as "volunteers").  Will EPEL and ELrepo continue
to work with AL, and will there be backporting to support applications
developed from the enthusiast releases (IBM RH Fedora, etc.)?  Canonical
Ubuntu has repeatedly stated that LTS -- licensed for free -- is their
"best work", as I assume AL (as an IBM RH EL clone in so far as IBM RH
permits this) will also be "best work".

Take care.  Stay safe.

Yasha Karant