SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2021 08:31:26 -0700
I have one issue with the 'sudo su -' "trick".  When there is both a
distro and an original "supplier" of an application (such as Mozilla
Firefox), I use the original, not the distro, except when there are
complicated specifics (such as my past experience with the Nvidia GPU
driver and utilities source package for which I get a prebuilt version
designed for the specific OS and kernel, etc, in use).  Why?  Every
rebuild has both the possibility of software defects as well as
maintaining the "chain of custody" to be assured that there will be no
compromises added that were not in the original release (e.g., building
on a compromised system for which the compromise inserts a compromise
into the binary executable output).

However, Firefox and other such applications that have an internal
update mechanism that updates from within the application. If the
application is installed as part of the "system", not in the space of
the specific ordinary user, then one must be logged-in as root into a
GUI workspace, not text shell, for the internal update to be enabled.
There may be a way to do this within a GUI workspace manager as an
ordinary user, but such a method does not seem to be universal
(different syntax/operations between GUI workspace systems, and some
types seem not to support such an action) -- whereas a root instance of
that GUI does work.

To do this within Ubuntu requires several files being modified -- I can
share what to do.  Of course, in many cases for the update, one
typically can download, say, a .tgz file that contains a full executable
release of the current (update) release version, but this is much more
work than using the internal update mechanism of the GUI application.