SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
"Gilbert E. Detillieux" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gilbert E. Detillieux
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2021 09:19:12 -0500
On 2021-04-07 2:11 a.m., Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2021, Yasha Karant wrote:
>
>>  The major issue I find is that everything at the system level is sudo
>> -- however, for Ubuntu, I have found the fixes so that I can become
>> root and do what I need both from a text interface and a GUI interface.
>
> I find sudo on Ubuntu much easier to use than sudo on SL6.
> By default on Ubuntu you can run succeccive sudo commands without
> reentering the password each time.
> I never figured out how to do that with SL.

That doesn't sound like default behaviour for sudo on SL6.  I've been
using it for years, and haven't had the password issue you mention.

Since sudo is pretty old, stable code, there likely aren't any
differences between its implementation in RHEL/SL vs Debian/Ubuntu,
other than the content of the /etc/sudoers file.  I'd check that against
the distro's clean, initial configuration, and see what's broken.

> When I need to use pipes or redirect stdin and stdout as root,
> a simple "sudo bash" first solves those issues.

You can use "sudo -i" to accomplish the same thing, but with perhaps
more "sane" initial setup, since it simulates a login.

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux        E-mail:  <[log in to unmask]>
Dept. of Computer Science    Web:     https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cs.umanitoba.ca_-7Egedetil_&d=DwIDaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=ngvZhv2g2MiFuLwD8Pig29aVZry8YCxwGnF4G1QV_jk&s=npAcwiHQAtZERrcpKjbPYhJrQcqMvbSLkfOIpJGM5Z4&e=