SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2021 15:47:57 -0700
I support an enduser who had Mint installed by a friend.  Installing
Ubuntu LTS current "over" Mint and then the full MATE suite fully
addressed the specific Mint issues you mentioned below. At one time I
had installed SL on that enduser's machine -- however, SL could not
support some of the then "current" Linux enduser latest production
release applications that the user needed. Note that MATE supports
"themes" that superficially make the desktop appear to be similar to MS
Windows or Mac OS X -- I do not use either of these.  The major issue I
find is that everything at the system level is sudo -- however, for
Ubuntu, I have found the fixes so that I can become root and do what I
need both from a text interface and a GUI interface.  I do know that
both VirtualBox and VMWare (both workstation and player) install and run
"properly" under Ubuntu LTS -- I need these for specific
not-available-on-Linux applications that I am forced to use.  VMWare
Workstation (licensed for fee) is more versatile. Although my needs
under the pandemic are restricted to a Type 2 hypervisor, my
understanding is that Ubuntu works fine under a Type 1 hypervisor.