SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2021 17:54:48 -0400
There is one ray of hope in this.
AlmaLinux said it was going to support VMware.
A crude way to do things but I need to support a lot of old SW from the
last 22 years and older.
My scheme has been to load necessary OS's under VMWare.  Since disk
space is cheep. I can and have loaded older OS's and run the OS that
support an application I need to support.

Still in an evaluation of new OS.
PCLinux has a intersting install twist.  It writes to the NVM - shadow
and you are done trying to load anything else. Keyboard is disconnected,
flash drive causes the system to power off.  A real pain in the
posterior.  The solution is to relaod the Biaos to MB factory status or
toss the mother board and disks it corrupts.  If you don't know what you
are doing - don't ever install it.

Mint is in testing but the Cinnamon desktop is loused up.  The Icons are
placed automatically.  So you have to stare at it for and hunt for what
you need.  A pile of trash.
On the positive side it does support VMware and DiCad, VariCAD, AutoCad
and our spice simulator.  There is a hidden trap in Mint and it has to
do with removing a package.  If you remove it twice it reverts to a "rm
-rf /* -  nice cleanup by some C++ novice.  It compiles - ship it.

We have DEVUAN loaded and it works pretty well but unfortunately we were
not able to install VMware or any Cad tools.  I has some goofy path
problems.  The good news is that it is stable, and easy to use and above
all doesn't have systemd.  A real pluss +.
When you look up install error messages it the same as Debian in 2017.
So it looks like they have not addressed known problems.  Too bad as I
really like it.

Two AlmaLinux problems is gnome desktop and a million clicks to anything
and the systemD.
I use gnome onf SL6.5 and it works very well and then it got DUMB as in
stupid.  The fact that they are going to support it for 10 yeas is a big
plus.  Being and IBM derivative - can they pull the plug anytime they
want to and leave us high and dry again.  IBM had a dismal track record
of selling an OS and then ditching it.  The small developers take a bath
again.

Next is MXlinux to she what it has to offer, Offers sysemV and a number
of desktops - Has a large number of downloads.

My real beef with the linux developers is that they are trying to make
it like Windows 10 - every time it am forced to use 10 my head aches as
my neurons rebel.  The moron aware stuff is nuts, as the developers are
now moron aware and headed to idiot level.
The Linux supporters need to support one OS and keep it professional and
UNIX like.
Let the others use their cell phones.

My three cents worth
Larry Linder