SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2021 09:28:49 -0700
Thank you for your impressions and (partial) clarification on the
license source availability requirement situation.

Given that:

  AL, Rocky, and all other IBM RHEL clones depend upon IBM RH to release
buildable source (that is source code and the tools required to build
that source to an executable installed distro), and that

  none of these entities seem to have the resources to develop "from
scratch" a "new" enterprise Linux,

it seems that all EL users, including those who are using
built-from-RHEL-source clones, are at the mercy of IBM RH, that is, IBM.

If IBM decides to enforce IP control over what does not have to be
released under the GPL, BSD, Linux, etc., licenses, one would not have a
buildable "clone".  Am I correct?  Given the historical track record of
IBM (now including IBM RH), one may not be long term optimistic if the
continued release reduces IBM total "revenue" (the only real interest of
IBM corporate business -- not research -- management).

My understanding is that Canonical is bound by Debian so long as Ubuntu
is Debian based -- under Software in the Public Interest, a USA
non-profit, that "controls" Debian -- to release buildable source.
Debian is very unlikely to change the license.  If Canonical decided to
"do an IBM RH", it would need to start a non-Debian derivative.  Is this
correct?

Hence, for long(er) term stability in the availability of buildable
source, amongst enterprise production distros, to my naive
understanding, Ubuntu LTS has better prospects than any IBM RHEL clone.