SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2021 13:22:49 -0800
I too am suggesting one switches to Ubuntu LTS current production
(20.4.x for all production x).  The one issue that I have not been able
to resolve:  what is the installed base of LTS for real world production
use?  I know of several "smallish" list servers that are using LTS.  Are
others using production VME machines also considering LTS?

At some point, unless IBM business plans / management preclude this,
there will be an IBM RHEL 9.  By that point, it may well be too late for
the HEP community assuming CERN/Fermilab wants to have some "common"
base available to the HEP community (presumably, beyond the immediate
NDA collaboration contracts that exist for the various CERN/Fermilab
experiments).  Several correspondents to this list have felt that this
discussion does not apply to the SL community, a point of view with
which I disagree in that it is an essential part of software and systems
engineering to include future planning, both for deployment and support.
  With the evident demise of SL 8 and beyond (and evidently some issues
with the maintenance of SL 7.9 if I have not misread postings to this
list), SL will not be the way forward.  Your observations on RHEL
indicate that except for those who license RHEL for fee with an IBM RH
support contract, RHEL is not an viable stable long-term (nor immediate)
alternative.