SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2021 15:39:42 -0800
Without adding too much additional traffic, the ability to go down
levels with things such as NFS "off" but otherwise maintain the running
image (and other state variable values), one could isolate and possibly
identify problems -- without throwing an exception except from any
additional "failures".  The generated logs, and sometimes a snapshot
dump, allowed one to track down obscure failures (such as a firmware
timing defect, in one such issue at one time in the past I had to solve
-- and a software change in the kernel driver got around the firmware
issue).